2011 Mas Champart, Clos de la Simonette, St Chinian

Sold Out

Clos de la Simonette is a powerful cuvée, a blend of limestone Grenache (30%) from the plateau and, on the slopes, more clay-influenced soils for the Mourvèdre, which makes up the remaining 70%. The wine is aged for 18 months in demi-muids (500 cl) of which 15% are new. Still youthful, with tell-tale Mourvèdre notes of licorice, peat, blueberry and graphite holding sway, and ripe Grenache more evident on the palate, this is robust and expressive wine, not lacking for elegance in spite of the Corinthian grandeur of its structure. Simon Field MW, Wine Buyer